Why hello there. It's been a while. A lot has happened since my last post. I got a new job and it's been challenging me in more ways I knew a job could be. I've been working long hours so making easy meals has been crucial and life saving for me. Insert the Easy Tex-Mex Chicken Salad. Last summer when I was a sales rep working out of my car, I tried 2 similar recipes that I became addicted to (links below). From these two recipes, I created the Easy Tex-Mex Chicken Salad. Not only is it stupid easy to make, but it is SO GOOD. Yea, that required caps.
Not only is this recipe easy, but the ingredients are extremely versatile. Don't want to use canned corn/beans? No problem. Substitute for fresh roasted corn on the cob or make your own batch of crock-pot beans. You want to take the time to grill chicken rather than buying a rotisserie chicken or Del Real's Pollo Asado. Go for it. P.S. the Del Real's Pollo Asado was a hidden gem I found at my local Kroger store. That is some good chicken. HIGHLY recommend it if you're feeling lazy but want grilled chicken. You won't be disappointed!
Are you starting to see a theme here? This salad is for people who are busy and don't exactly have the time to slave over the stove top creating time consuming meals. Not that there is anything bad with that, but after you've worked a 12 hour day, the last thing you want to do is spend another hour or so cooking. Ya feel me?
So enough of the gab, let's make this salad. It's co-worker approved. Psst. She said it was her favorite thing I had made so far. So that says something...amirite?!
- 1 can of beans (I prefer black - pinto works great too)
- 1 can of corn
- 2 green onions diced
- 1/2 C mayo (this is my absolute favorite mayo)
- 2 tbsp. vinegar (I used white)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. finely diced cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 C chicken (shredded, grilled, etc. It's all good!)
- Ground pepper to taste
- Cotija cheese
- Salsa (spice it up a bit)
- Tortilla chips
- 1/2 of an avocado
Servings: 3 (1-1/2 cups of salad)
- Open the cans of corn & beans. Rinse and drain. Once drained, place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Veggie Prep: Wash/rinse the green onions and cherry tomatoes. I like to use this veggie wash to make sure they are extra clean. Set the veggies in a strainer over the sink to rid of excess water. Then you will take a small handful of cilantro, spray with veggie wash, rinse, and set aside in the strainer to dry while prepping the other veggies.
- On a cutting board, cut the onions into small pieces and place in mixing bowl. Next, you will cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place in the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Next you will finely dice the cilantro. I like to tear the leaves from the stems so I'm only cutting up the leaves and not the stems. It's a little extra work, but it looks prettier. ;) Place diced cilantro in the mixing bowl.
- You then add the chicken to the mixture. If using grilled chicken, cube the chicken before adding to the mixing bowl. If using rotisserie chicken, make sure to shred it before placing in with the other ingredients.
- Finally, add the mayo, cumin, chili powder, vinegar and lime juice. You can also add pepper to add some more flavor.
- Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly. Make sure to taste test it to see if anything is missing or if you need to add more of a particular ingredient (I always end up adding more lime juice).
- Serve in bowls and top with cotija, avocado, or salsa. I like to eat my salad with tortilla chips.
Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad
Tex Mex Chicken Salad
Affiliate disclosure - I have partnered up with Amazon and they give me a (small) commission if you buy anything in the links at no extra charge to you. It's snack money and helps keep this bloggy blog free for my wonderful followers. The links are items that I actually use and love. Ok carry on!