I don't know about you, but I LOVE having actual books in house. I have a whole book shelf dedicated to my books. I even have a special place in my kitchen for my cook books. Sometimes it's easier to flip through a book than going on the internet and searching for ideas for recipes. I also love seeing the pictures of the recipes. When I was in college my mom got me a cook book called American Heart Association Low-Fat, Low-Cholestrol 3rd Edition which has a recipe called Ground Beef Ragout. The worst thing about this book is there are NO PICTURES. Who in their right mind makes a cook book WITHOUT pictures?! Are you kidding me?! Luckily I have a good imagination and decent picture taking skills and was able to take some pictures to share.
Anyway, why I have a low-fat, low cholesterol book is beyond me. I think I liked the recipes in the book and decided it would be a good idea to get. Or maybe my mom was trying to tell me something when she got it for me. I dunno. But that's besides the point as I have the book and tested various recipes from there that were tasty.
This ragout is a hearty stew that is great for cold winter months or if you are looking to make something quick and easy. I've been known to make this in the dead of summer in Phoenix so it's always a good time to make this. Let's get cooking!
Ground Beef Ragout
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I use 90/10)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 - 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 - 15 oz can of kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 - 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed & drained
- 3/4 cup red wine (can be non-alcoholic if needed)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp red chili pepper flakes (or less depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tbsp fresh oregano)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp chervil (or parsley)
- Veggie Prep: Chop onions, tomatoes and zucchini.Set aside the onion in a separate container.
- Beans: Drain and rinse the beans. Set aside
- Ground beef: Warm a pot over medium high. Once hot enough, add ground beef. Once the beef starts browning, add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until there's no pink.
- Once the ground beef has been browned, you will add the red wine, water, tomato sauce and spices. Mix thoroughly. Then add the beans, tomatoes and zucchini. Gently stir one last time before turning the heat down to a simmer. Cover pot and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl with your favorite glass of red wine or beverage.
- Prepare yourself for a mouf party!